Graduate Student Funding and Support

Fee Waiver and Reduction

Find out how to qualify for a fee reduction for the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or receive a waiver for a Brown graduate school application fee.

Brown Graduate School Application Fee Waiver

To apply for a waiver for a Brown program application fee, the specific instructions can be found on the Graduate School’s website. If you have any questions on the Brown Graduate School application fee waiver, you can contact the Graduate School at

Outside Graduate School Application Fee Waiver

To receive a waiver for an outside graduate school application fee, you must follow the specific instructions of the school to which you are applying, which typically require that our office complete a brief form or send a brief letter. If documentation of your financial need must be substantiated to a third party, please contact our office to review and expedite.

Reduce the Costs of Taking the GRE

To qualify for a Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or Praxis Exam fee-reduction certificate authorized by the Education Testing Service (ETS) you must be:

  • A U.S. citizen or eligible non-resident qualified to apply for federal financial aid.
  • A college senior receiving financial aid through Brown University, or a returning unenrolled Brown graduate who has applied for financial aid; and either a dependent college senior whose Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) Student Aid Report (SAR) shows an estimated parent contribution of not more than $2,500 for the senior year, or a self-supporting college senior whose FAFSA SAR shows a contribution of not more than $3,000 for the senior year, or an unenrolled college graduate whose FAFSA SAR indicates self-supporting status and a contribution of not more than $3,000.

To apply for a fee reduction certificate, you can visit the ETS GRE Waiver or the ETS Praxis Waiver websites.