Graduate Student Funding and Support

Private Educational Loans

Private educational loans are available to domestic and international graduate students.

All graduate students who are U.S. domestic or international students can apply for private educational loans. While U.S. citizenship is not a requirement, the majority of private educational loan lenders require that the borrower designate a co-signer who is a U.S. citizen/permanent resident with favorable credit history.

Students have the right to pursue and borrow from any private lender of their choosing. Students must complete any private loan application through the lender and not through Brown. The application processes for private loans vary by lender.

Eligible graduate students are encouraged to exhaust need based Federal Student Loans before applying for credit-based loans.

When applying for a private educational loan: